National Car Rental PGA Jr. League Nebraska Section Championship was Held at Fremont GC on Monday, July 26th
Eleven All-Star teams of junior golfers competed for the opportunity to advance to Regionals
FREMONT, Nebraska (July 26, 2021) – Fremont GC hosted the National Car Rental PGA Jr. League Nebraska Section Championship, with eleven All-Star teams of junior golfers ages 13 and under and their families meeting for a fun and exciting day of competition.
Section Qualifiers and Championships are the first of three phases in the National Car Rental PGA Jr. League Championship Season, which highlights the aspirational nature of competition celebrated in a way unique to PGA Jr. League. The event at Fremont GC was an 18-hole scramble stroke play qualifier in which each of the eleven all-star teams were broken into four two-person scramble teams. Three/four best scores on the front nine and three/four best scores on the back nine for each team were counted for the team total score. The team with the lowest total after the 18 holes was crowned as the Nebraska Section Champion and will advance to the regional final, which is held at the Ridge GC in Sioux Center, Iowa on Labor Day Weekend. The fun day concluded with pizza and awards! This year, the Nebraska Section Champion is the Eastern Nebraska Junior League All-Stars! This team was composed of facilities from Omaha and Fremont. They shot a low team score of 199!
“We’re thrilled to bring the Nebraska Section Championship to Fremont GC this year,” said David Honnens, Nebraska Section Executive Director. “Ushering in the National Car Rental PGA Jr. League Championship Season by welcoming our local All-Star teams, coaches and families for an exciting day was so much fun for our PGA Section.”
Following recreational play in the spring and summer, hundreds of 13u All-Star teams (boys and girls ages 10-13) and new in 2021, 17u All-Star teams (boys and girls ages 14-17), are formed from a combination of players in each league. Section Champions from both age divisions advance to the Regional stage of competition at one of 12 sites in September. Ultimately, 12, 13u Regional champions will vie for the title at the National Car Rental PGA Jr. League Championship at Grayhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona, Oct. 7-10, to be broadcast live on select ESPN networks.
PGA Jr. League is the flagship youth pillar program of the PGA of America’s 501(c)(3) foundation, PGA REACH, with the goal of making the program accessible to all youth regardless of background, circumstance or ability. Boys and girls ages 17 and under learn and play golf on teams, wear numbered jerseys and receive expert coaching from PGA Professionals.
In 2020, PGA Jr. League led the development of responsible Back2Golf guidelines amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, allowing nearly 1,700 PGA Professional Captains to coach nearly 37,000 kids through healthy team golf experiences. Additionally, PGA REACH helped award nearly 2,500 scholarships last year to players from active military families or with extenuating financial circumstances. The Championship Season was cancelled in 2020 to prioritize well-being and minimize travel for participants.
National Car Rental was named the inaugural title partner of the Championship Season in February.
PGA Jr. League’s biggest corporate partner since 2018, as well as an Official Partner and the Official Rental Car of the PGA of America since 2012, National’s new title partnership aims to continue fueling meaningful growth of PGA Jr. League and supporting the program’s endeavors to welcome more kids to the game.
13u All-Star teams who competed in the Section Championship included (Listed in order of how they finished):
- (199) Eastern Nebraska Junior League All-Stars – Players are from Fremont GC, Happy Hollow Club, Shadow Ridge CC, Oak Hills CC, Champions Run & The Players Club.
- (217) Sioux County League All-Stars – Players are from The Ridge GC, Rock Valley GC & Landsmeer GC.
- (219) Lincoln Husker League All-Stars – Players are from Country Club of Lincoln, Hillcrest CC, Firethorn GC & Wilderness Ridge.
- (230) Southern Omaha League All-Stars – Players are from Platteview GC, Omaha CC, Field Club of Omaha & Council Bluffs CC.
- (235) Spencer Golf & CC League All-Stars – Players are from Spencer Golf & CC.
- (246) Lincoln Big Red League All-Stars – Players are from Hillcrest CC, Firethorn GC & Wilderness Ridge.
- (252) Greater Sioux City League All-Stars – Players are from Whispering Creek GC, Dakota Dunes CC & Sioux City CC.
- (252) Grand Island Area League All-Stars – Players are from Riverside GC, Indianhead GC, Lochland CC & York CC.
- (255) Shadow Ridge CC League All-Stars – Players are from Shadow Ridge CC.
- (263) Lincoln Champions League All-Stars – Players are from Pine Lake GC and Hidden Valley GC.
- (282) The Ridge GC League All-Stars – Players are from The Ridge GC.
Kurt Karcher, PGA – email@example.com – 402-489-7760